Saturday, May 9, 2015

Engaging Students Using Technology

Hi everyone! This is Erin from Mrs. Beattie's Classroom guest blogging here! I want to share some of the ways I've been using technology to engage my little learners this year!
Do you use your classroom technology effectively? I am sharing some tips and ideas for engaging your elementary students and making the most of the devices you have! This post includes details about Plickers and using QR Codes.
Our class was lucky to receive SIX new iPad minis back in March, and my students are absolutely loving them.
Do you use your classroom technology effectively? I am sharing some tips and ideas for engaging your elementary students and making the most of the devices you have! This post includes details about Plickers and using QR Codes.
I've spent a lot of time searching for and creating great resources that we can use with this amazing technology, and I'm going to share with you some of my top picks! (I am not affiliated with any of these app creators, or being compensated in any way for sharing. They are simply some of my personal favorites!) Click on any of the images for more information!

Fun Math Apps

We have several awesome math apps that we use frequently.

Do you use your classroom technology effectively? I am sharing some tips and ideas for engaging your elementary students and making the most of the devices you have! This post includes details about Plickers and using QR Codes.
XtraMath is a site I was using daily on the classroom computers prior to our iPads arriving, and we were lucky enough to get this app added to our app catalog. (Unfortunately, I'm unable to add just any old app without first putting in a request to our board's IT department.) On this one, students practice their basic addition, subtraction, multiplication and division facts, and I get detailed reports on their progress!

Do you use your classroom technology effectively? I am sharing some tips and ideas for engaging your elementary students and making the most of the devices you have! This post includes details about Plickers and using QR Codes.
Math Fight is a student favorite!! This is a two-player game that focuses on addition and subtraction facts at a variety of levels. The paid version also includes multiplication and division. I love that this one can be used by every one of my students, regardless of their ability level, as the problems range from simple basic addition to multi-digit addition with regrouping!
Do you use your classroom technology effectively? I am sharing some tips and ideas for engaging your elementary students and making the most of the devices you have! This post includes details about Plickers and using QR Codes.
Do you use your classroom technology effectively? I am sharing some tips and ideas for engaging your elementary students and making the most of the devices you have! This post includes details about Plickers and using QR Codes.
Another class favorite is a family of apps called Math Slide. These can actually include up to FOUR players at a time! They are free apps for practicing place value, addition & subtraction, and multiplication & division. LOVE this!!

Apps for Reading

Our iPads are in high demand during our Daily 5 time due to the many great apps that we have available for both Read to Self and Listen to Reading. Here are a couple of the best:

Do you use your classroom technology effectively? I am sharing some tips and ideas for engaging your elementary students and making the most of the devices you have! This post includes details about Plickers and using QR Codes.
Epic! is a huge library of high-quality books in a variety of levels and genres. The best part about this is that it is FREE for educators! I think that some of my students could sit with this app all day long and be completely happy!
Do you use your classroom technology effectively? I am sharing some tips and ideas for engaging your elementary students and making the most of the devices you have! This post includes details about Plickers and using QR Codes.

Do you use your classroom technology effectively? I am sharing some tips and ideas for engaging your elementary students and making the most of the devices you have! This post includes details about Plickers and using QR Codes.
Farfaria is another one that my students love, but it does require a subscription. I think my kids like searching through the storybook lands to find something to read. I mean, who wouldn't want to travel through here?!
Do you use your classroom technology effectively? I am sharing some tips and ideas for engaging your elementary students and making the most of the devices you have! This post includes details about Plickers and using QR Codes.

Apps for Engaging Lessons

I'll admit that I'm just scratching the surface of how to use apps during lessons, but I am super excited about Plickers!!
Do you use your classroom technology effectively? I am sharing some tips and ideas for engaging your elementary students and making the most of the devices you have! This post includes details about Plickers and using QR Codes.
With this app, you can gather quick formative assessment data from every student in your class. I've been hearing about this one for some time, but this is the first opportunity that I've had to actually try it out in my own classroom. The kids LOVED it, and I'm amazed at how quickly and easily I was able to gather data on my students' progress through our current math unit.
Do you use your classroom technology effectively? I am sharing some tips and ideas for engaging your elementary students and making the most of the devices you have! This post includes details about Plickers and using QR Codes.
This is my live view as I scan the class. I can see in real-time who I have scanned, whether or not they have the correct answer, how many students have selected each answer, and how many of my total students have been accounted for. There are definitely some improvements needed in the data management of the site, but this is FREE so I'm not complaining!

Using iPads for Writing

During our Daily 5 writing time, some of my students were struggling with motivation and ideas (despite the fact that I have TONS of story starters in the classroom). I really wanted to find a way to use the iPads to engage my students during writing, but I haven't really found an app that gets them writing without a ton of time wasted building cartoon characters. 

After some thinking I decided to try using a QR Code Scanner and build up some mystery and secrecy around a weekly writing prompt. I wish I'd done this sooner!! Each week I post a new QR code, and students use an iPad to scan it and read the prompt. We've agreed that nobody will share what the prompt says without scanning it themselves. Even my most reluctant writers are loving the mystery and are excited to find out what the week's prompt says!
Do you use your classroom technology effectively? I am sharing some tips and ideas for engaging your elementary students and making the most of the devices you have! This post includes details about Plickers and using QR Codes.
You can check this out for yourself by clicking the image below, and try it out using the freebie in the preview!
Do you use your classroom technology effectively? I am sharing some tips and ideas for engaging your elementary students and making the most of the devices you have! This post includes details about Plickers and using QR Codes.

I would LOVE to hear about some of your favorite apps for the classroom! Leave me a comment here, or pop over and visit me at my blog, Mrs. Beattie's Classroom!

You'll find many more fabulous ideas and resources for engaging your students using technology on this Pinterest board:





1 comments:

  1. These are awesome apps. I can;t wait to download them. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete