Friday, February 20, 2015

Guided Math in the Primary Classroom

I am sharing ideas for your Guided Math structure and classroom organization, how to form and manage the independent student groups, and centers I use successfully in my own classroom! My resources include centers with student and teacher instructions, bulletin board resources and storage labels!
Hi everyone! Erin from Mrs. Beattie's Classroom here to share some tips and tricks for managing guided math groups in your primary classroom!

Implementing a guided math routine can be a daunting thought. Where to start? How to group my students? What are the other kids doing? Having used this system for several months in my own classroom I can tell you that it really isn't all that difficult!

Where Do I Start?

To begin, you need to consider the structure of your math program. There are many options out there, from Math Daily 3 to B.U.I.L.D. Math. I began by doing some research into the current options, considered my own students and their needs, and eventually decided to develop a structure of my own:
I am sharing ideas for your Guided Math structure and classroom organization, how to form and manage the independent student groups, and centers I use successfully in my own classroom! My resources include centers with student and teacher instructions, bulletin board resources and storage labels!
My groups are general enough that I have tons of options for activities without limiting myself, and I can integrate technology anywhere in the structure!

How Do I Group My Students?

I chose to organize my students into ability groupings, although that is really up to you! I wanted students with similar needs to be working together with me at the same time so that I could target what they really needed during Teacher Time.

Getting Guided Math Organized

Once my students are grouped for a particular unit and the activities are prepared, I keep my students organized on my guided math board. In the example below you can see the categories listed with the student names on the tiny blocks. These are all magnetic allowing me to easily move them around. The larger blocks have the activity choices listed for each of the guided math stations.
I am sharing ideas for your Guided Math structure and classroom organization, how to form and manage the independent student groups, and centers I use successfully in my own classroom! My resources include centers with student and teacher instructions, bulletin board resources and storage labels!

What Does Teacher Time Look Like?

After a whole-group lesson on whatever topic we're covering, I pull a group of students to my guided reading table at the back of the room for a secondary lesson. Depending on the needs of the group I review, extend, elaborate or provide additional challenge to the students. My favorite part of this process is the opportunity I have to closely observe how each of my students solves problems, uses math tools and communicates his or her understanding about math. This observation really allows me to know the strengths and needs of each child.

What Are The Other Kids Doing?

I am a firm believer that choice is a powerful motivator and find that my students are able to stay focused on a task much longer when they have chosen what to work on. Of course anyone with even a little classroom experience knows you can't just throw centers at students and have them used appropriately or successfully. We spent a great deal of time early in the year learning just what was expected during guided math groups and posted this collaborative anchor chart. (If you use The Daily 5 you may recognize some of the language - perfect for consistency across subjects!)
I am sharing ideas for your Guided Math structure and classroom organization, how to form and manage the independent student groups, and centers I use successfully in my own classroom! My resources include centers with student and teacher instructions, bulletin board resources and storage labels!
What can students choose? Within each of the other guided math stations I have 3 or 4 different activities available for my kiddos. They are all kept in large storage bags within bins that have each station clearly labeled.
I am sharing ideas for your Guided Math structure and classroom organization, how to form and manage the independent student groups, and centers I use successfully in my own classroom! My resources include centers with student and teacher instructions, bulletin board resources and storage labels!
I have carefully created these activities to cover a range of skills and give students practice with tasks that are easy enough to be completed independently, but challenging enough to keep them engaged. You can see a sample of the variety I provide in this photo from my 2D Geometry unit.
I am sharing ideas for your Guided Math structure and classroom organization, how to form and manage the independent student groups, and centers I use successfully in my own classroom! My resources include centers with student and teacher instructions, bulletin board resources and storage labels!
I hope you're feeling a little more prepared to tackle guided math groups in your own classroom! I'd love to hear from you if you try this out for yourself. If you're interested in using my structure and activities in your classroom you can find all of my guided math resources here:
I am sharing ideas for your Guided Math structure and classroom organization, how to form and manage the independent student groups, and centers I use successfully in my own classroom! My resources include centers with student and teacher instructions, bulletin board resources and storage labels!
I am sharing ideas for your Guided Math structure and classroom organization, how to form and manage the independent student groups, and centers I use successfully in my own classroom! My resources include centers with student and teacher instructions, bulletin board resources and storage labels!

Be sure to stop by my blog for a visit!



8 comments:

  1. Great post! It perfectly sums up your math program and the amazing organization you have to keep your kids on task and focused and to make the most of your teaching time.

    Christina
    Hanging Around In Primary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have any information about incorporating guided math with the common core math modules?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie!

      We do not use the Common Core in my area, so I'm afraid I can't give you any details on how closely my centers align.

      ~Erin
      Mrs. Beattie's Classroom

      Delete
  3. Hi good post, I was looking at your chart-do you meet with groups 2x a week? It looks like 2 rotations, I was also curious if you could share a schedule of your math time-how long is your whole group lesson, how long is each rotation and do you do it everyday? Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like this program! I am wondering how much prep time the guided math program would take. I am a first year teacher, grade 1 and 2. I don't have a library of activities and games ready to go for a program like this. Would my prep time to organize a program such as this become overwhelming?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! Awesome information. I was hoping that you could clarify something. Once you finish 'teacher time" rotation, could you describe what you do next? Do you pull another group and then everyone else switches their choice? Just want to get a better idea of how the entire math block is managed. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you have this Math organization in Spanish?

    ReplyDelete